Sunday, September 18, 2011

And the vacation is over.....

Homesickness:  sucks!!!!!

It has finally happened.  The vacation is over, and this is real!  It was a bit of a tough week for me.  Last weekend, my cousin got married (congrats Mike and Lynette!), then my brother got engaged (congrats to Ian and Anna!) and then, unfortunately, my Grandma ended up in the hospital (get better soon Grannie xoxox).  It was tough to be away from my family for all these events.  It just isn't quite the same talking over the phone, or video conferencing....

Todd is also back to Canada this morning.  He left at 6:15 am.  It is raining--fitting for my mood!  Thursday night is when the tears started for me.  It just hit me about midnight--I am living in a foreign country, where I do not speak the language, and my husband, who is such a support (and I miss already), is going to be gone for 2 weeks!  I was feeling sorry for myself already, not being back in Alberta, and celebrating with everyone, and visiting Grannie at the hospital, and then the thought of Todd being gone, it just didn't work for me!  I was also quite envious of Todd, and as such, a little bit mad (and then mad at myself for even being mad) that he got to go back "home", see familiar faces, and do familiar things.  I do realize he has to work, but it is still his "normal" routine.  I feel like I have nothing familiar.  All my kids are in school, I don't have the option of just popping into the school to help out, I have no one to go for coffee with, or hang out with, and we are 8 hours ahead of all those I want to talk to!
What does one do with one self?  Todd recommended I start taking French classes (which I know would help), but I hate putting myself in uncomfortable situations.  He also recommended I start asking some of the moms out from the school for coffee, or whatever, but again, uncomfortable for me.  I will probably suck it up at some point--but not yet!
And now, to top in all off, I feel guilty for being "mad" at Todd for the last 3 days before he left!  Why did I waste the time I had with him before he was gone, pouting :(
I am also a bit scared, as I signed up to volunteer for the first time, with Jacob's class on Friday morning. We are going to a museum, so hopefully it all goes well.  I am afraid I won't know enough French to keep the kids in line, and I will never be asked to help again!  As well, I have to get Jacob ready to send off on a Scout Weekend.  Not even sure where he needs to go, and if I have all the stuff yet.  Like I said, the vacation is over.....
On the plus side, my mom comes over on Thursday night, so that should lift my spirits.  Hopefully she is ready for me!  She may have to pick up the 2 little guys for lunch on Friday morning, as I am with Jacob on his field trip.  I should be back in time, but I better be prepared in case I am not.

2 weeks, 14 days, 334 hours, 29160 minutes, 1209600 seconds.....not that I am counting the time or anything!

Anyways, enough with the sob story, here are some pictures from the weekend.  We went to the library, and then checked out a few museums.  It was the Journees du Patrimoine this weekend, and therefore, free entry into most of the museums in town.  We made it to 2, before the kids were done!  
 It was also Jacob's turn to clean the toilet (not fun, 1 toilet, 4 small boys.....). 

 At the library.  

 The closest playground we have been able to find--still about 2-2.5 km away.  

 Really, we are trying to get them "cultured", but the nose picking still continues....

At the museum of Natural History.  

8 comments:

  1. Dear Jackie, any of your new Brit families that you have in AB know how you feel:). We're all here for you sweetie x. If you fancy a natter you can email me :))

    I know what what you mean, Si's dad died the April before last.

    How about when Todd gets back you hop across the channel and have a semi familiar time in England?

    You're baking is gorgeous, if there is a mum that you have the best connection with, why not give her some baked goods?

    There are some fantastic apps where you type in your language and translates to say French like google translates and it can speak too, you could have a coffee like that. When I couldn't speak for two weeks I had a speak it app and the other person spoke x

    If you're unsure in French the google doc translate is brilliant x

    The first few months can be really tough, so I had to hand five of my favourite movies, my all time favourite book... And my favourite chocolates from
    "home"

    I agree the 8 hours Difference in your case conflicts with after school and when you're done putting the kids to bed it's early hours of the morning lol! I find 7 hours tough

    Hope your gran gets better soon. You'll be back before you know it x

    Love

    Mel (Arbib)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean your baking is gorgerous lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big hugs!! You are SUPER MOM!! Before you know it Your Mom will be there and then Todd will be home. I think the French classes are a good idea! I kind of laughed out loud when I read "I hate putting myself in uncomfortable situations"....really!!?? I would never have guessed that!! You are the most adventurous person I know. Keep your head up and I'm sure it will start to feel more like home and you will be meeting friends soon! Hope your Grannie gets well soon. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jackie!

    Reading your post made me think of how I felt when I moved to Estevan and still sometimes feel. I am not across the ocean but sometimes it feels that way. When you are used to doing things with your family and friends all the time it is hard when you can't. You are very brave for taking on this adventure and just remember at least you get to go back home when it is over. Before you know it, it will become routine and seem normal but unfortunately the home sickness is always there. Just keep breathing and it will pass. We too have a skpe account so we will have to find you on it and talk. The kids would love to see the boys. They had so much fun with them that morning. Sarah is still talking about the younger boys. LOL! Take Care and we will talk soon!

    Love Teri

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would think what you're feeling is TOTALLY normal. Hoping the time that Todd's away passes super quickly so you can have your best bud home with you again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jackie,

    I love reading your posts! You are an amazing wife and mom. Here are some encouraging words:

    The Lord is my strength and my shield; My heart trust in Him, and I am helped; Therefor my heart exults, and with my song I shall thank Him.
    Psalm 28:7

    The Lord will give strength to his people; The Lord will bless His people with peace. Psalm 29:11

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny you say you hate putting yourself in uncomfortable situations because you seem so adverterous! You've moved to a new country where you don't speak the language, you've run a marathon, you've had four kids, etc! I bet you are just feeling out of sorts because of the BIG change and having your hubby gone! Hopefully the time passes quickly and you have a good visit with your mom!

    ps. This has quickly become my favorite blog. I love reading about your adventure over there~!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone! It is great to hear from you all, and I am definitely feeling a bit better! Still wish I spoke the language, but I guess that means I best get to taking lessons.....

    As for putting myself in uncomfortable positions, moving wasn't too bad--it's just the interacting with other people, face to face, that makes me most uncomfortable!

    ReplyDelete