Friday, September 9, 2011

I think I survived.....

Week one of school is almost over--just need to remember to pick the kids up at 4:30pm!  Week one of being the solo parent is almost done as well--the hubby gets home tomorrow late afternoon.  Everyone has come home smiling everyday, so things must be going ok.  Google Translate has become my new BFF!  Forms, forms, forms this week!  I **hope** I filled them all out correctly, and didn't miss anything! 

The biggest challenge for Jacob this week--figuring out cursive writing!  That is what they learn here--not to print, but to write!  Jacob, of course, continues to amaze me.  He says he can't do it, and considering he has only had 3 1/2 days at it, his cursive writing is almost readable!  For homework, we have a separate workbook in which Jacob prints his answer in French, and then I write it out.  From there, he writes it in his homework book.  We have printed out some worksheets for this weekend (which he is very eager to work on!).  I am sure in 2 weeks time, he will be writing up a storm! Jacob is also struggling a bit to find a friend.  He is a very shy boy, who is afraid his french isn't good enough.  In a few weeks time, I hope he finds his confidence, sees he is getting along fine, and finds his voice!  He did have some success this morning with math, as he said he knew the answers, when the other kids didn't.  It's little things like this that will boost his morale, and let him see that he is the same as the other kids--good at some things, and not so good at others!  This is something we have always struggled with--Jacob being hesitant to try something, for fear of failure!  Once he knows he will succeed, he thrives, and goes for it.  So, I guess he is just testing the waters still....

Joshua has made a new friend.  They don't speak the same language, but they play, as only kids can! They have a big wave for each other in the morning, while Joshua greets with "Hello" and the other little boy "Bon jour"! This is so great for Joshua, as he is such a social little guy!  I don't think he is finding the language too intimidating, and enjoying the school environment.  Joshua's biggest challenge--not eating for a whole 3 hours!  They do not have a scheduled "snack time" at school, but they are allowed a snack at recess, so he has begged me to send Pain au Chocolat (Croissant with Chocolate in the middle), as that's what the other kids get!!  So, he takes a snack in the morning, but needs to tough it out in the afternoon!  As well, Joshua has asked to stay at school for lunch.  They serve "hot lunch", a 3 course menu, everyday, if you so wish, at a cost of around 20 Euros a semester. Josh heard this, and he was sold!!!

Today, Nathan told me he could go into school all by himself--I am sure this is due to us just dropping his older brothers off at the school doors!  We made a compromise, I would wait out in the courtyard, just outside the hall way to his class (to get to Nathan's class, we actually go into the school, and then out and across the courtyard).  Luckily, there are windows, so I can watch him be "big"!  He always greets his teacher with a "Bonjour", and then gets to playing!  His teachers have been great about helping him learn the routines, and what is being said.  When they give Nathan a direction, such as "push in your chair (but in french)", they take Nathan by the hand, push in the chair, and say the phrase again.  They have been so patient, and I get nothing but praise about him at the end of the day!

My Mister Noah--he told me on the way to school today that he is getting to be a big boy!  He is so proud of himself for being at school, just like the bigger brothers!  He doesn't hestitate to enter the classroom, but does love to see me at pick up time!  Today was a "kissy day", which means he will willing give me a kiss--I think he missed me this morning!  I think he MAY of had a nap yesterday, he was still wide awake at 10 pm last night---there is no way he should be that full of energy that late at night!!!  He tells me he didn't, so once Todd is back, I will get the low down on what is happening in the afternoons!  I really hope we can move him into the other class to play during sleep time.  Everyday, the teacher has praises for Noah as well--tres bien!! 

As for me, I even made some new friends!  Tuesday night, I ventured out to my first Scout meeting.  One of the Scout leaders came and picked me up, after leaving her daughter to watch the boys.  The entire meeting was in French, so I really didn't pick up on much, but it was a good experience for me.  It is nice to know someone local, but she also speaks English as well, so it helps!  I am going to help start a Beaver section here in Aix (for those that don't know, I am a Section Leader for Beavers in Okotoks--and I miss it alot!).  I also made some Canadian friends.  There are 2 other couples, both from Toronto, that both have kids in Nathan and Noah's school.  I went out for a run with one of them this morning, and it was great!  Between the 3 families, we have 9 boys, with the oldest being almost 11, and the youngest 3.  Some may say that we should totally immerse ourselves, and avoid the English speaking families, but there is comfort in it.  I think it will also be a little confidence booster for the kids to know some Canadian friends too!

2 comments:

  1. 3 course meal?! Awesome! Sounds like everyone is settling in well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you guys are getting settled.

    I feel bad for Jacob being shy to try things and make friends but I totally relate because I'm exactly the same way.

    That's probably a big reason why I could never imagine myself picking up and moving to another country. Too scary!

    I'm glad to hear you are making friends as well and getting involved. I'm sure you will pick up the french quickly but I think it would be comforting to have some english speaking friends too.

    Thanks for blogging so often and sharing your experiences!

    ReplyDelete