Monday, September 5, 2011

Premier Jour d'école

The boys said they weren't excited, but I think they were.  We had no troubles getting out of bed this morning! 



Drop off went not too bad. The two schools are next door to each other, and the big boys' doors opened at 8:15.  We took them into the courtyard, where they met with their teacher.  Jacob's was pretty quick, but Joshua's took forever.  He is in CP, which is the first level at this school.  There were a few kids crying, and some parents that seemed reluctant.  I ended up leaving while Todd and Joshua were still near the back of the line, to get Nathan and Noah to school. 



At Nathan and Noah's school, there were class lists posted by the exterior doors, but no indication as to where these classes might be.  And I didn't have any of my handy French helpers with me at that moment.  I had to muddle my way through asking where I should drop Nathan off at.....I did succeed, but it wasn't pretty!  At the door to the class, the teacher was waiting outside, at a table to great the students.  It again took quite some time to meet each one.....15 minutes later (and only 4 kids ahead of us to start....), we get to the front.  She asked for his name (I think), and I tried to explain we don't know/speak any french, and then I send him into the classroom.  Nathan entered without looking back!  A fair number of the other kids were crying, but I think Nathan was just too excited--which makes it sooooo much easier on me!!



So, now it is about 8:40, and it is Noah's turn to be dropped off.  Several of the kids had soothers, and were already crying, and we hadn't even entered the school.  This dropoff took even longer!   By the time we got to the door, it was 25 minutes.  As expected, Noah walked in, choose to do puzzles, and waved us off!  It would have been nice to have a little love from my baby, but he is the littlest of 4, and he takes it all in stride!   I think he was the only one not crying in the room, but he didn't seem to notice or be bothered, as he was finally in school!


One thing that did perplex me, and make me think I had forgotten something, was that at the door, a teacher aide was taking a stuffie from each child.  We did not bring one for Noah (I didn't think to!), but we were the only ones without.  And then I realized, it is for Nap Time!  Todd had joined me by this time, so I asked him to find out about said "Nap Time".  Noah hasn't napped since he was 18 months old, so not really a habit we want him back into.  Anyways, nap time is from 1:30-3pm.  If he doesn't nap (which I pray he doesn't, as that means a 11 pm bed time tonight....), he will be allowed to go and play with the MS (4 year olds), during that time.  When I picked him up at lunch time, I told him he should not sleep, but just sit quietly, and then maybe he will be able to play....we'll see what happened when I pick him up at 4:30! 


As for me, I have survived so far.  Todd was back off to Canada after drop off this morning, until Saturday, for work.  I will no doubt pick up some more French this week!  After sending Todd off on his bus, I walked to the grocery store to get a baguette, and fruit.  I then came home, had a quick coffee, and was off to pick the boys up for lunch.  Everyone was where they were supposed to be, and it was smooth!  This afternoon, I have blogged, sent out the school pictures to family, and completed a Beaver Scout lesson plan (something I plan to stick with even though we are here, and Beavers is in Okotoks!!). Time for another coffee, and then off to get the boys! 

 I have enjoyed the peace and quiet, although I think I may get bored by next week.....Maybe I will take the time to smell the roses, just as Joshua and Noah do.....



2 comments:

  1. Love this post...though it made me a little teary thinking about some of the kids crying! I don't know if my girls will cry when they eventually go but I fear I will be sobbing like a baby in the corner!

    Curious to hear how naptime goes today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shouldn't be so hard on the crying kids--I am just not used to it, as my boys aren't like that! It just seems like maybe they weren't prepared well for what was going to happen, or maybe it was happening too soon for some of them! At the same time, I think at some point, we need to give our kids the opportunity to become strong and somewhat independant! I guess it probably just wasnèt what I thought it would be!

    ReplyDelete