Monday, August 2, 2010

Time for Me

I have taken up Half Marathon running.  I guess it was a New Year's Resolution, as my first run was 2 weeks into January.  It is something I have talked about doing for a few years, and my baby was 18 months at the time, I wasn't pregnant (and have no plans to be), so the time was right.  I signed up for the Calgary Half Marathon (May 30, 2010), and found myself a training schedule.  I would say I was in okay shape.  I had been taking a boot camp in Okotoks, since the May 2009, up until Oct 2009. 
I used to enjoy running, and I have found that I still do.  Since my first run in January, I have logged 300+ km.  I ran in Florida, at 6:30am, while we were on vacation.  I have ran in light snow.  I have ran in rain, and I have ran in the hot, hot sun.....I actuallye nded up doing my first half marathon (21.1km or 13 miles), April 25.  I had a friend who was unable to do the Policeman Half (Calgary), so I took her bib number and ran it for her.  I had only trained up to 14 km, but I made it to the finish line in 2:07:51.  Not as good as I had hoped, but not terrible.  My second half, I managed to run it in 2:03:16.  My next race is in Disneyland, Sept 5, 2010, and I hope to run it in 2:00:00 or just under.
I enjoy the quiet of running.  I run 5 days a week, just short runs during the week days (3-5km), and then a nice long run on Sunday (today was 16km).  It gives me a little "timeout" from the kids, and I also like the health benefits.  Running helped me to lose the last few pounds I had lingering, and I eat a little healthier too, as I don't want all my hard work to go to waste!!! 
My schedule was from the Running Room, but I adapted it slightly, to suit me.  I didn't end up doing all the hills, but overall, it was a good schedule. 
I also bought myself a Garmin 305 Forerunner, a GPS, which helps me with my pacing.  I really like that.  I logs all my splits, distances, etc, and can be downloaded to my computer.
Anyways, the short of the long, is that running is a great break from the kids, and I really enjoy it!!!! 

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! I'm planning to run a 5k in October, but that doesn't really seem like much after reading this! Haha!
    I'm not a runner, never have been, so 5k is going to be an accomplishment for me.
    Hope to see you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 km is great!!! You just gotta find what works for you, and go for it!!! I personally don't like the gym--never have, never will!!!! Outdoor bootcamps were okay though.....

    ReplyDelete