Monday, October 3, 2011

I am back....sorry for the absence!!!

Sorry, we kinda got caught up in life for the past little bit!  I give you all a big sob story, and then don't post any kind of follow-up--not very nice of me!!!

Where did we leave off--right, me in tears!  Happy to report, there have been no more, at least not from me!  Jacob came out of school almost 2 weeks back, the Monday after dad left, with a "I hate school, I hate France, and I want to go home now!!!"  Hard to take for a mamma!  I lied, I did cry again, with my little boy......You don't know how badly I wanted to take the first plane out of here, and get us back to our old life!  But, with only the resilience that kids have, the next day at school was the GREATEST DAY EVER!  And all because of a traded marble....And so we are still here, still adjusting, but loving each other dearly!


 Jacob received a letter from his classmates back home the same day he came home crying, and it made his day!  He eagerly started to write back, and then I had to go out and figure out how to buy stamps!  

Grandma arrived on Thursday night, and the kids (and me!) were over the moon!  We loved having Grandma here, and showing her our new world, but I am sure we sent her home needing a vacation!   




We did lots of fun stuff with Grandma, but I still need to download those photos off my phone, so a separate post will follow.



Our landlady brought some grapes over to us, when she came to get the rent money.  They are delicious--I can see why the wine is so good from this region!  The kids refuse to eat the big grapes though, as they have seeds, so they just eat the "babies"....



We treated Grandma to a few lunches out--some better than others!  Our first lunch out was to the kids favourite--Flunch!  Think Bonanza or Sizzler!  You order a main meal, get your meat or fish, and then choose your own sides.  Not terrible food, but not great either!  But, on a positive side note, I ordered everything in french, and I got it all right!!!
 I treated Mom to a more typical lunch out after we dropped the kids off at school one afternoon.  We missed most the lunch rush, so it was fairly quiet, but we dined without children, so it was fabulous!  Mom and I both ordered from the "Menu Classique", which was a main plate with dessert and cafe.  Most restaurants will do something similar, where you can choose either entree et plat ou plat et dessert ou entree et dessert.  An entree here is not the main meal, but your appetizer.    Anyways, Mom ordered the above salad: lettuce, bacon bits, tomato, olives, mushrooms, topped with a poached egg.  I ordered the "Santa Lucia" salad with tomatoes, mozzarella, capers, olives and red peppers.   For dessert, I had tiramisu and Mom a chocolate cake.  And then came cafe!  I am not really a true coffee drinker--I like my flavoured stuff that is super sweet, but can't really just drink a coffee.  So, out came the cafe--a shot of espresso!  I dumped in the sugar pack and drank it up!  It actually wasn't as strong as I thought it would be, but not sure I will rush out to have another right away!  Overall, this was the best meal I have had while in France!  I was full for 2 days!


This is our house, walking in from by the hospital.  If you continued up to the left, you would go into an apartment complex.  If you go the right, you can get into our house, with about 7 houses down the lane with a dead end.

                                

This is our church: Saint Sauveur.  It is absolutely beautiful!  It is about a 10 minute walk from our house, just past the schools, towards the centre of town.  It is also a very popular tourist attraction, so there are always groups around.  

Well, that is it for now!  I will try to get another post up shortly, as we just attended a Scout Week-end of camping--truly an adventure!

1 comment:

  1. M just got back from France (he goes about 4 times a year for work) and while there went to a co-worker's house for a BBQ. The co-worker used to live in Canada but has been in France with his family for about three years now. They said they miss home for sure but they are trying to embrace it, walk a lot, enjoy good food and see lots of things. They said it was the only way to survive in France if you are a Canadian! Sounds like you are doing the same. I love that you are doing this for your kids. Must be super hard but will be so good for them!

    ReplyDelete