Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Day by Day....

Today will be 8 weeks since we left home.  It feels like forever ago that we left, and yet the time has also just slipped by.....
 I still have a bit of a "Love/Hate" relationship with living here.  On one hand, the weather and lifestyle is so beautiful, and on the other, I struggle to find where I (we) fit into the mix.
 We had a wonderful trip up to the UK last week, where we spent time with some friends, and visited some familiar places to us.  Todd did a 1 year stint in the Uk about 11-12 years ago, and I joined him for the summer.  I remember being homesick then....
 And the English was so refreshing!  It was nice to be able to know I could walk into any store, or restaurant, and not worry if they would know what I was saying!  I also enjoyed sitting down in a Starbucks, just because it is like a security blanket for me!  How bad is that....... But, Starbucks are all the same the world over.....
We got home last Tuesday, and that night I had another meltdown.  Really, back for 7 hours, and I was already crying---get a grip on life!!!  I still feel I am in over my head, but I really do need to change my situation--so, in true fashion, I am going to host a Halloween party!  I talk daily with 2 other Canadian families (both from Toronto), and they are going to join us for the party!  We are also going to allow each child to invite a friend from their class.  I loved hosting parties back home, something I have not done since we moved here--probably part of why I miss home so much!
 It may not be the French thing to do--celebrate Halloween--or the way to do it, but it is OUR way.  So, we are the Okotokians living in Aix.  I have decided to embrace this, and not worry so much about fitting into the French culture, but more about having it surround us, and staying true to who I am.  So, anyone want to come for supper Friday or Saturday night???
 I really do miss the regular routine of my previous life--yes, that meant driving the kids to school in my pyjamas, having coffee and playmates, and letting the laundry stack up! Here, I am forced to do my laundry as it needs to line dry, and I don't have extra space to let it pile up!!! Seriously, I hate laundry.....
 I have also looked into French language lessons, but can't start until the new year.  I would need to be in class every day for 2-4 weeks, from 9-12:30, so it just doesn't work for our schedule, as I need to pick the boys up at 11:20 every day.  So, until Todd is home on a regular basis, I am out of luck!
 Anyways, here goes my attempt to make a better go of it here!  I'll keep you posted!




1 comment:

  1. I think I would be having way more meltdowns than you! And yeah, I guess it's the little things you don't think about like having to walk everywhere or not having a dryer. Makes me appreciate life here for sure. BUT, I sure would like to be eating the cheese, bread, pastries, wine, etc! And it's such a great experience for your children too!

    Have a great Halloween party (do they celebrate it there?) and make sure to post pictures.

    ReplyDelete