Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Difficulty of Donating......


I have been in the process of cleaning out all my baby stuff, something I dreaded, but it was time.  The bigger stuff (crib, jolly jumper, change table, etc), I listed on Kijiji.  They all sold, rather quickly.  The clothes and toys, I took to a Kids Toy/Clothing sale, and barely sold any.  I got a rid of a few other items, like a Leap Frog play table, activity mat, etc, but the clothes went untouched, even at a $1 an item.  I had Gymboree, Gap, Old Navy, and Children's Place stuff, most of it in great shape.  I remember being pregnant with my first child, 7 long years ago, going to these sales, and buying stuff up!!!  I guess times have changed.....

Tiny Love Gymini Super Deluxe - Lights&Music


Needless to say, I came home with alot of stuff---about 10 diaper boxes full of clothes, ages 0-18 months.  What to do with it????  I went to Kijiji again, hoping to offload my excessive amount of clothes.  I placed an ad, offering a diaper box of clothes for $10.  You could even pick what items went into the box.  I thought this was a fantastic deal.  I had over 100 views to my add, maybe 8 people inquire, and not one actually come to get any. 
After a week of no luck, I called my church, to see if they knew of any families in need.  No such luck.  I looked up a few shelters, emergency centres, etc, but all they wanted was new items.  I couldn't believe how hard it is to donate items!!!!  I couldn't find any takers for hundreds of dollars worth of clothes (I realize they are used, but they still have a lot of great life left in them---especially the baby stuff!!!). 

LeapFrog LeapStart Learning TableNext step, garage sale!!!  I again offered stuff $10 for a bag, or $1 a item.  I ended up selling about half of my clothing, and the rest went to the Salvation Army bins.  Hopefully it will make its way to someone that can use it.  Now, I just need to find a place to donate my used baby toys and stuffed animals (3 large rubbermaid bins.....).

No comments:

Post a Comment